Fox Racing Shox – 36 Factory Grip 2 – NEW 2021
$1,549.00 – $1,649.00
SMOOTHER STIFFER AND MORE TUNABLE THAN EVER BEFORE
With all new design inside-and-out, plus an unmatched combination of smooth performance, tunability, stiffness, and lightweight–we took the award-winning, EWS favorite and made it even better.
|ALL 36 FACTORY GRIP2 FORKS|
|Upper Tube Finish||Kashima Coat|
|Rotor Size||180 direct Post Mount, Up to 230 compatible|
|Mud Guard Mount||Optional FOX 36/38 Mud Guard with sturdy 4-point direct-mount attachment|
|Air Spring||FLOAT EVOL|
|Starting Weight||1965 g|
|GLOSS ORANGE||GLOSS BLACK||ROOT BEER – Limited Edition|
|Wheel Size||27.5 / 29||27.5 / 29||27.5 / 29|
|Travel||160||150 / 160*||160|
|Rake||44||37 / 44 / 51*||44|
|Axle||15QR x 110||15QR x 110||Kabolt-X 110|
Floating axles might look similar to other axles, but in fact they offer a distinct performance advantage due to their unique ability to match the exact width of the fork’s wheel mounting surface precisely to the front hub flange spacing, thus creating perfect chassis alignment and eliminating unwanted friction between the upper and lower fork legs. Floating axles provide much smoother suspension movement throughout the entire range of the fork’s travel, notably improving sensitivity and overall ride quality.
The all-new 36 and 38 come equipped with a new quick-release lever operated patent-pending floating axle system, combining the benefit of a floating axle with the ease of a tool-free quick-release. With this system, spacing is locked in via a floating sleeve, allowing repeated front wheel removal and reinstallation while maintaining perfect fork alignment. Floating sleeve positioning comes preset from the factory so if you are unsure of how to operate the floating axle system or simply don’t want to bother with it, you can just install the front wheel and get on with your ride.
Available optionally is the new Kabolt-X, a lightweight bolt-on floating axle exclusively for the all-new 36 and 38 that not only shaves grams but also increases torsional stiffness via its sleeveless, single-sided pinch bolt design. Chassis alignment must be reset each time the front wheel is removed and reinstalled on both the Kabolt-X and 40 floating axles, but the end result is the same – perfect alignment and perfect performance.
LOWER LEG CHANNELS
As a fork compresses, the air volume within the lower legs decreases, increasing air pressure. The more the fork compresses, the more pressure increases. This effect can have the unintended consequence of preventing full travel from being achieved. Our lower leg channels help alleviate this issue by dramatically increasing air volume within the lower legs and thereby reducing the amount of additional unintended pressure ramping.
Another benefit of these channels is that lower leg bath oil is circulated to the upper reaches of the lower legs, continuously lubricating the foam rings and bushings as the fork compresses and extends through its travel.
Our lower leg bleeders allow for atmospheric pressure equalization at the simple press of a button. Pressure build-up in the lower legs dramatically decreases fork performance, preventing full travel from being achieved, and diminishing small bump sensitivity and responsiveness.
LOWER LEG ARCH
Stiffness-to-weight is the ultimate metric for bicycle design. Engineers invest countless hours poring over every ounce of material in an effort to optimize this critical ratio. Our all-new lower leg design pulls out all the stops, shaving every possible gram while making sure not to compromise stiffness or strength requirements of modern enduro and gravity style riding.
Modern frame designs and geometry trends require modern suspension design solutions. The arch design of the all-new 36, 38, and 40 is designed to pair perfectly with modern Enduro and Downhill bikes. Head tube profiles have grown larger and larger, and fork offsets shorter and shorter. Our new arch shape takes this need into account by jutting forward to provide ample headtube clearance at full compression. State-of-the-art computer modeling techniques helped us to create an organic lower leg shape that optimizes stiffness with the absolute minimal amount of material.
Our GRIP2 damper is the benchmark for unparalleled ride quality and ultra-precise on-the-fly adjustability. For 2021, we’ve taken GRIP2 to the next level by adding our patented VVC technology to the high-speed compression circuit.
VVC is a proprietary variable valve control system that allows for external fine-tuning of suspension performance. GRIP2 achieves with the twist of a knob what typically requires the time consuming and complicated task of completely disassembling and reassembling the fork.
EVOL technology increases negative air spring volume, optimizing small bump sensitivity. EVOL’s linear spring curve delivers plushness off the top, extra mid-stroke support, and more tunable bottom-out progression.
The benefits of EVOL are further enhanced by our new Lower Leg channels and Bleeders, which both function to reduce air pressure captured in the lower legs, allowing the EVOL air spring to operate freely without unintended interference.
27.5", 37mm offset, Grip2, 160mm, Black w/orange logo, 29", 44mm offset, Fit4, 150mm, Black w/orange logo, 29", 44mm offset, Grip2, 150mm, Black w/orange logo, 29", 44mm offset, Grip2, 160mm, Black w/orange logo, 29", 44mm offset, Grip2, 160mm, Root Beer, 29", 44mm offset, Grip2, 160mm, Shiny Orange, 29", 51mm offset, Grip2, 160mm, E-bike, Black w/orange logo
READY TO RACE STRAIGHT OUT OF THE GATEFeaturing an entirely new chassis and damper, delivering enhanced tunability, smoother performance, and more progressivity than ever before.
|SIZES (With 2-position Adjust Lever)|
|Imperial Sizes (NEW 2021 model)|
|Metric Sizes (NEW 2021 model)|
|Imperial Sizes (2020 model)||7.875 x 2.25|
|SIZES (Without 2-position Adjust Lever)|
|Imperial Sizes (NEW 2021 model)|
|Metric Sizes (NEW 2021 model)||250 x 75|
|Imperial Sizes (2020 model)||8.75 x 2.75|
|Optional 2-position Open/Firm lever (retains high and low speed compression adjustment)|
|High-speed compression - 8 clicks|
|Low-speed compression - 16 clicks|
|High-speed rebound (w/VVC) - 8 clicks|
|Low-speed rebound - 16 clicks|
|Coil spring preload - (new detents on spring collar)|
|ALL FACTORY DHX2 SHOCKS|
|Shaft Coating||Chromoly - Ultra-low friction, highly durable damper shaft finish|
|Detents on spring collar||Yes|
- FOX Remote Lever 2020 Remote control 1-speed shift for seat post transfer With the remote lever, which was redesigned for 2020, the Vario support transfer can be adjusted ergonomically and with lightning speed from the handlebar to the respective trail conditions. The lever is instead of the left lever ergonomically mounted by Matchmaker on the brake lever or with clamp under the handlebar.Technical specifications: intended use : Lowerable seat posts Material: aluminum Train access route: universal Compatibility: Fox seat post transfer Attachment: Matchmaker (SRAM brake lever) or via clamp (22.2 mm) Installation location: lower left on the handlebar Color: Black
READY TO ATTACK THE TRACKCompletely redesigned for 2021, this World Cup weapon comes equipped with an updated version of our award-winning GRIP2 damper, an updated EVOL air spring, and a host of other radical new performance-driven features.
Run over everything.Presenting the Smashpot - a fork coil spring conversion system for singlecrown enduro forks, featuring externally adjustable hydraulic anti-bottoming technology to deliver precisely the amount of bottoming resistance you need. CLICK HERE FOR SPRING RATE CHART CLICK HERE FOR INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS (pdf, 8.2Mb)
- Compatible with Fox 36 (2015+) and 36 Rhythm, and Rockshox Pike/Lyrik/Yari/Revelation (35mm) forks. See bottom of page for fitment notes.
- 130-180mm travel, internally adjustable using included spacers. (Note - max permissible travel for your fork is determined by the fork manufacturer and may be less than 180mm)
- Full tool-free control over bottoming resistance.
- 11 coil spring rates available, from 30lbs/in to 80lbs/in precision wound in 5lbs/in increments.
- Rider weights from 45kg (100lbs) to 125kg (275lbs) catered for.
- Universal cartridge kits require only new top caps to be moved between different forks (and foot studs if different fork brands).
- Springs are guided and isolated internally and externally to reduce spring buckling and knocking, minimising noise.
- Spring guiding system also means less rubbing, less wear and less contamination of the bath oil.
- Utilises more oil for superior bushing lubrication and smoothness.
- Only coil conversion system on the market allowing 180mm travel.
- Easy and cost-effective to transfer from one fork to another.
- Allows full use of travel even for very light riders
- No harsh bottoming.
- Reliable and low maintenance.
- User installable and serviceable.
- Designed, developed and manufactured in Whistler, Canada.
- Weight increase of approximately 250-450g (dependent on spring rate and fork's existing spring system).
- System includes one universal Smashpot cartridge kit with brand-specific food stud, fork-specific topcap and spring.
- $420.69CAD (approx $315USD)
Why Coil?Air springs have improved substantially over the years - and we've been at the forefront of air spring development for years, so we've got no bridges to sell you. Yeah, coils are heavier than air, and for some riders that alone is a dealbreaker - fair enough. The advantages of coil springs, however, are clear:
- Zero stiction or friction in a coil spring. And there never will be.
- Zero spring rate variation.
- Zero moving seals in the spring system to wear out, cause friction or leak.
- Zero temperature effect on spring rate.
- Zero altitude sensitivity.
- More oil in the fork - lubrication and service life are improved.
- Day in, day out, the fork just straight up feels good.
- In short, improvements in sensitivity, grip, compliance, mid-stroke support and consistency, with reductions in harshness and hand pain.
Externally adjustable, speed sensitive hydraulic bottoming control valveThe heart of the Smashpot is a speed sensitive shimmed valve which engages progressively and seamlessly in the last 50mm of travel to effectively manage high energy and low energy inputs without harshness. Easy tool-free external adjustment ensures you get as much or as little bottoming resistance as you need. Light and smooth? Easy. Big and aggressive? Just as easy. Turn a dial and you're sorted.
Why go this route?Unlike conventional hydraulic anti-bottoming cones, the longer displacement over which it is effective and its speed-sensitive shimmed valve means the Smashpot can dissipate more energy with lower forces, bringing the fork to a gentle stop at the end of the travel in a smooth, controlled manner. Compared to alternatives such as elastomer or pneumatic bump stops, the Smashpot doesn't involve components physically colliding mid-travel. And unlike air springs and pneumatic bump stops, it dissipates energy rather than storing it and throwing it back at you, further stabilising the bike. There's no air spring seals, meaning fewer potential points of failure in your fork, no spring stiction, fewer wearing seals, and no need for a shock pump - ever.
- How much weight does it add? It's heavier than your air spring by between 250-450g, depending on spring rate (firmer springs are generally heavier) and the fork's original spring system (TALAS/DPA are typically heavier than Float/Solo Air). If the weight bothers you, you may be more interested in a Luftkappe.
- Can I convert my fork back to air afterwards? Going back to air, should you wish to, may not be an option - spring rub may score the inside of your stanchion, so the the piston may not seal again. The spring is both isolated and guided to minimise stanchion knock and rub, however there are no guarantees an air spring will seal again after riding with a spring installed. We'd be pretty surprised if anyone actually wanted to do this after riding the Smashpot though.
- Do I need any extra parts to change the travel? All spacers required are included with the kit. The only thing you may want is more heat shrink for the cartridge tube, as it's installed after travel is set internally. CLICK HERE FOR SPARE PARTS.
- Does it void the fork's warranty? As with any aftermarket modifications, it should be expected to void the fork manufacturer's warranty.
- What versions of the Pike does it fit? It is available for all 35mm Pikes in 27.5" and 29" from MY2014 onwards (no fitment for 26") in Boost and non-Boost. 29" forks need to use the included adaptor to lengthen the top cap.
- What versions of the Revelation does it fit? It fits all 35mm versions of the Revelation from MY2018 onwards.
- What versions of the Lyrik/Yari does it fit? It fits all versions of the Lyrik & Yari from MY2016 onwards.
- What versions of the Fox 36 does it fit? It fits all versions of the 36 from MY2015 onwards EXCEPT Pedelec e-bike specific forks. IMPORTANT: Call Fox with your serial number to check your fork's maximum permissible travel if attempting to run your fork with the Smashpot over 160mm if this is more travel than it currently has.
- Will it fit any other forks? Other applications are under development. Got a fork you want to see it made for? Contact us and let us know.
- 2 Dust wiper / oil seals
- 2 Foam lubricating rings
- 3 crush washers
It is important to have the right tool for the job. It not only will make the job easier, but it will keep you from damaging costly parts. The Fox Shox Seal Driver Tool is designed to perfectly drive Fox fork wiper seals with ease. These drivers will work on both flanged seals and the new low friction seals without flanges.